Friday, October 28, 2005

Moon Lodges

Every time I get hormonal I think of the Native American 'moon lodges.' Some Native American groups (I'm not sure which ones and I'm too lazy to look it up right now) made the menstruating women stay in the Moon Lodge for the time that they were on their periods. It's been said that the men thought that it was bad luck for menstruating women to touch stuff and all that. I think they just didn't want to deal with the drama. But also, from the women's perspective I can see why it might not be so objectionable to hole up for that week. I know I would like to just go somewhere quiet where I can be alone and not have to put up with anyone for a while when I'm hormonal. I'd say the Moon Lodges were pretty cool places where the women could hang out and not be bothered by the men and children. Oh, I know I'm romanticizing it, but that's what we do when we look back at old traditions. And it was probably one of those situations when the women 'complied' so that the men thought they were in control, but the women knew that they were really the ones in control. I think that's true a lot of times. We do things to let the men think they are in control, but in reality we are the ones holding the reins. Don't ya think?


And apologies about not making it around to comment much this week. On top of the moon cycle I've got another UTI, so I've not been up to much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Kristi said...

I hope you feel better soon.

I would love to be "banned" to a moon hut once a month. He can take care of the baby, the house, the laundry, the cooking and the shopping. I will lounge and eat mass quantities of ice cream and watch Law and Order reruns in my pajama's.

Rae Ann said...

dh, you said it!

kristi, you and me sister! And don't forget about smoking the peace pipe! LOL

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Moon Lodges outta be whenever you want to check in!!! (LOL) as often as desired!

Hope you are feeling better....a week later here commenting...(smiling)

Rae Ann said...

suzie, so true! Glad you're back!