Friday, April 07, 2006

No Surprise

Sharon Stone Flops with Larry the Cable Guy!

From cnn.com:

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc.

1. "Ice Age: The Meltdown," $70.5 million
2. "Inside Man," $15.7 million
3. "ATL," $12.5 million
4. "Failure to Launch," $6.6 million
5. "V for Vendetta," $6.5 million
6. "Stay Alive," $4.58 million
7. "She's the Man," $4.57 million
8. "Slither," $3.7 million
9. "The Shaggy Dog," $3.5 million
10. "Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector," $3.2 million (tie)
10. "Basic Instinct 2," $3.2 million (tie)


While this is probably great news for Larry, it's terrible for Sharon Stone. But really, why can't aging stars accept that they must move on to a new stage of life? This is what happens when a woman makes her fame and fortune only by exploiting her youth and beauty. And youth and beauty are fleeting and not something that make a firm foundation for anything - career, marriage, or whatever. Stone is 48, ten years older than I am. I'm not saying that women can't stay beautiful as they age, but I am saying that artificially produced youthful beauty isn't attractive in an older woman. And I find it sad that these women who are hailed as the 'most beautiful in the world' when they are young can't let go of that as they age.

This is another reason why I, as a more 'plain' woman, feel more freedom to be myself as I age instead of feeling pressure to maintain some impossible facade of youth and beauty. I have much better things to spend my time and energy on than trying to defeat the natural process of aging. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to wake every morning and begin to worry about wrinkles and all of that. What a waste of time!


Oh, how this reminds me of the 1950 film Sunset Boulevard about an aging star's refusal to accept that her youth and beauty had faded. Sharon Stone on the set of Basic Instinct 2.

The 53 year old Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

2 comments:

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I agree with you...on not worring about the aging process. Other than getting my hair done....I do what I can with face cream or whatever...but I don't make it that big of an issue. You have to let it go and accept you are no longer in your 20's.

It did not surprise me about this movie being a flop. Hopefully Sharon will get the message...loud and clear. (smiling) No one was interested....no matter what her stupid statements were i.e. Hillary, sex, or etc.

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

P.S. I would like to see...Larry the Cable Guy...can't wait until DVD time!! (LOL)