Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Amorous Amphibian Visitor

Sunday afternoon I heard a loud croaking sound outside my open office sliding glass doors. I looked out to see what was making such a racket but saw nothing. I thought maybe it was just a mockingbird making some weird sounds or something and left it at that. Then Monday I heard it again. I looked again and saw this little guy:


(photo taken Monday, April 24)

Isn't he cute? I'm pretty sure he's an Upland Chorus Frog (Pseudacris feriarum feriarum). He's tiny but makes a loud noise! You can see his throat all puffed up with air to help amplify his croaking. I wonder how he got all the way up here since this is a second story porch and there aren't any tall trees very near. I asked the kids if they brought him up here and they assured me that they didn't. With my shamanic inklings I tend to think that his presence is some kind of sign or message. (Frogs represent cleansing, especially in the sense of being washed clean and refreshed with water.) He has something to share with me somehow, even if it's only a reason to learn more about frogs or to give me something to write about.

And why do I call him a he? I read that usually only male frogs croak to attract female frogs and that "female frogs think croaking is very sexy." (click link for reference) Not to say that I find frogs or their croaking sexy, but I am a female and I do find frogs very interesting and their sounds very soothing (cleansing). I have to wonder if this little guy is just confused or very ambitious(!) to be directing his amorous exclamations to me. Do you think I should kiss him to see if he'll turn into a handsome prince? (not that I could do anything with a handsome prince if he did appear... David wouldn't like that one bit, lol)

My little frog suitor was here again on Tuesday. It was very warm, humid, and hazy yesterday as you can see in this picture:



Isn't he cute sitting there warming in the sun? I was gone most of the day yesterday so I didn't get to hear him croaking much. He hasn't made an appearance yet today. I hope he hasn't given up on me! lol If he appears again today I think I should give him a name. What name should I give him?

6 comments:

ghartstein said...

We get lots of birds, squirrels etc here....I love that our place is somwhere that animals flock to!

Love the frog!

Anonymous said...

Ribbit, ribbit!

Kat said...

Aww. I think he looks like a Clyde.

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

He is not cute to me!! I am terrified of frogs and toads. As you know down here we are over populated with the venonous ones and every other variety. Right now they are in hiding, but they will be out soon. By the picture it looks fairly large, I assure you the ones here are enormous. (many from South America)

He probably went up the tree to get upstairs....it is amazing how they get around. YIKES!!! (smiling)

Guy said...

Congratulations!
To a farmer frogs, toads, snakes and lizards are all good luck: they eat bugs and other varmints. They are also the sign of a healthy ecosystem. Cherish your little buddy and he'll be good to you (but don't be surprised when he finds his lady love and disappears for a while!)

Rae Ann said...

mr g, I really love living out here in the 'boonies' where there are so many interesting critters.

kermit, it ain't easy being green...

kat, I might just call him clyde. I haven't seen him again but I've heard him.

suzie, oh, that sounds bad! This one is really small, only about an inch long.

guy, yeah, we have lots of frogs and toads and lizards around here. I think he wised up and moved on to another female. lol