Friday, August 05, 2005

invita Minerva:

"Minerva being unwilling." This simply means "uninspired." Minerva is the Roman goddess of wisdom and patroness of all the arts, someone you want on your team at all times. If she deserts you on a given day, your work will be uninspired and your excuse will be invita Minerva. Critics might also use this phrase to describe an artist or work of art lacking inspiration. However, this excuse won't cut a lot of slack at the workplace where, like Alfred Alistair Cooke, they believe "A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn’t feel like it.”


EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to credit my source. The above is from http://www.alanemrich.com/Class/Class_Practical_Latin.htm.

5 comments:

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I am on your team! You and I both seem to have these kind of days, as they say "don't worry about it"

Roman myth but also identified with the Greek Athena...as you are the Goddess of wisdom, the arts.....and I am sure so many other beautiful things.

Your mind will be sharp as a razor in a moments notice! Watch and See!
Thanks again about yesterday! (smiling) Hope you have a great weekend.

ghartstein said...

So just getting paid isn't enough...Damn! And here I was so close!!!!!

Rae Ann said...

suzie, yes! And I'm glad you are! You have a good weekend too.

mr g, somehow I just know that you aren't a slacker!

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Hey Rae Ann,

Also if interested check out Google on Greek Athena Minerva. Interesting also in reference to your edit! (smiling) I like your link! Thanks!

Did not want to send certain individual sites...but thought you may want to check it out too!

Rae Ann said...

suzie, thanks!