Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Root of All Evil, part 1

"For the love of money is a root of all evil: and some whose hearts were fixed on it have been turned away from the faith, and been wounded with unnumbered sorrows." (BBE- Bible in Basic English)
Timothy, 6:10.

"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. There is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of its filling a vacuum, it makes one. If it satisfies one want, it doubles and trebles that want another way. That was a true proverb of the wise man, rely upon it; 'Better is little with the fear of the Lord, than great treasure, and trouble therewith.'"
Benjamin Franklin

"If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free; if our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed."
Edmund Burke


Anna Nicole Smith's case is going to the Supreme Court. Boy, would I love to hear that one! Honestly, I haven't paid that much attention to the details of the case, but I find it sad that people go to such extremes over money. Her deceased husband, J. Howard Marshall II, left a huge estate that has been the center all this contention between Smith and his biological heirs. I'd love to hear all the details of both sides, but with my limited amount of knowledge of the case, and I can say this because it's pretty obvious that my bid for the Supreme Court nomination is going nowhere, I think that Marshall's son is being excessively selfish. The estate is worth apparently hundreds of millions. Is that not enough to share? My god, a fraction of that would be enough for most people.

I have a problem with people who feel entitled to inheriting their parents' wealth. Maybe that comes from my background of parents not having much of anything to leave their heirs. Whatever fortunes we have, or lack thereof, we made for ourselves. We haven't relied on any kind of inheritance to make our way. (And we haven't cheated or exploited every shady opportunity that is available, like suing people over every little thing.) My dad has a little put away that he's living on for his retirement. I think he should spend it all to make his life enjoyable and comfortable. I'd rather he spend it than save it for me.

Maybe I'd feel differently if he had millions of dollars. But I don't think so. I just can't see why it's so hard for Marshall's son to accept that his father might have wanted his young wife to have a little part of his fortune. I'm not implying that Smith is an innocent here. But I do think that legally she probably does have some claim to some of that money. It bothers me just a little that our Supreme Court is going to be spending time and resources on this case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there should be some sharing in this situation. Yeah, she's a bimbo (did you ever see her reality show?) and was using him for his money, but he was no prize to look at. Of course, I'm assuming that he received all the perks of marriage.

The law has a seldom-tapped remedy called equity, but it's rarely used, usually when the established law creates a palpably inequitable result. Unfortunately there are probably a ton of cases where precedent has been settled. It would be fun to be in the courtroom for this train wreck, though.

Rae Ann said...

LOL, yeah, I got a kick out of her show. It was hilarious. She says that they did have sex (EW! on both counts). And I thought she was prettier when she was fat. I wish I knew more about law, but I don't think the Constitution says anything really relevant to this case.

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Hey,
Still out of town, but had to say hi and read one of my most fav. blogs from a very dear friend.

I very much agree w/your post, sharing should occur here.

What info I have heard recently on this case on why the Supreme Court is taking this time, are for many reasons....but one is there is proof that THE SON forged documents and have done other unethical things (possibly illegal too)etc, for it to get there. This fueding has been going on for so long, it is ridiculous!! I have kept up off and on over this long period of time. However, this would be a good time to add the CAMERAS to Supreme COURT!!

This is based on some news agencies last week that reported on it. Actually between Anna and THE SON...neither one can throw stones. (LOL)

Always love your posts. Be home late tomorrow evening!! Have missed you!! Sending Smiles...