Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Word of the Day

SMITTEN, derivative of smite

Main Entry: smite
Pronunciation: 'smīt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): smote /'smOt/ smit·ten /'smi-t & n/ or smote; smit·ing /'smī-ti[ng]/
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English smītan to smear, defile; akin to Old High German bismīzan to defile

transitive senses

1 : to strike sharply or heavily especially with the hand or an implement held in the hand

2 a : to kill or severely injure by smiting b : to attack or afflict suddenly and injuriously

3 : to cause to strike

4 : to affect as if by striking

5 : CAPTIVATE, TAKE

intransitive senses : to deliver or deal a blow with or as if with the hand or something held

- smit·er /'smī-t&r/ noun

I find it interesting that we use that word to describe the painfully pleasurable experience of feeling captivated or taken by someone or something that we can't really have. To be smitten is to be smacked by the hand of God or the Universe. It knocks us down yet we get right back up and want more. Any touch from God, even a painful one, is better than none at all. That is how it is to be attracted to someone who shines that inner Light. Just a little glimpse is so wonderful that you find yourself waiting/suffering/hankering for just whatever little glance you can chance. Is it wrong to feel smitten? I don't know. What do you do when it happens to you? Put on those blinders? Or stare hard and long and hope not to go blind?

6 comments:

Kat said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've been smitten once or twice, I got over it.

Kevin said...

Ahh, everythings seems to weigh on me. Smitten describes so much of our lives. My favorite word is pensive. Mostly because it was the favorite word of a girl I once loved but never told. Semiotics become you.

Anonymous said...

When I saw your juxtaposition of smite and smitten at the top of your post, I had the same reaction. How strange to use the similar root to describe two very different things. But, as you went on to say, maybe they're not all that different.

There's often a fine line between pain and pleasure...kind of like touching that raw nerve or sensitive spot. It hurts, but we do it over and over.

And you're especially right with God. Whenever He touches us, it's good. Because when He touches us, whether or not it hurts, it's because He cares. That's something we can't say about the painful touches life gives us.

Rae Ann said...

awg, yeah, I think that is a correct usage of smitten. You always make me blush!

kat, but how did you get over it?

kevin, thanks! And semiotics is a great word. I had to look it up though. And pensive is a great word too. I just love words.

dh, yeah, we sure do like to touch those sensitive spots over and over and over again. *impish grin*

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

LOL-On AWG..I will use his answer, since it applies to how I feel too.

You must get like me in your email, the WORD OF THE DAY!! I finally had to set up a file to drag them in...lately been so overwhelmed with tons of stuff and low energy...haven't had the chance to study them. I am a WORD lover, but I sure have been lazy lately...with using our simple English language and in some case totally demolishing it with i.e. wrong grammar, misspelled words, etc.

I wrote a whole post at the doctor's office the other day on a STRONG NEGATIVE word people use so often use and easily without thought - that I never allowed my children to use...and have not even posted it yet. I was strict with my children on strong negative words...they were not allowed...we had other ones to replace that were less impactable.

Perhaps I will be able to post it soon.

Thanks for your post....and most esp. you always visiting me...I truly appreciate our friendship.

P.S. Perhaps this may be a good idea for "what I call my fillers" on days I can't seem to write..posting my WORD OF THE DAY!! Thanks...hope you would not mind!

Rae Ann said...

suzie, word of the day is a great "filler"!