Wednesday, June 01, 2005

So it is...

Shingles. I was correct in my self-diagnosis. Unfortunately I don't have a medical degree and can't prescribe my own medicine. And no, I wouldn't abuse that privilege, well, with one exception. I often think I probably should have gone to medical school. But I'm getting too old now. And the thought of going back to school is as bad as the thought of going to prison. Anyway, my prescriptions which include an antiviral pill and ointment and hydrocodone were $194.90 at the Walmart pharmacy. That's ridiculous. But you have to have them. My insurance did help. Without it the price would have been $309 and some odd cents. I can think of plenty of other things I'd rather spend that money on.

Okay, in case I haven't already specified this let me explain what shingles is for anyone who doesn't know. Anyone who has had chicken pox can get it. The virus that causes chicken pox stays dormant in your body and can be reactivated later in life. Stress can cause it, but they don't really know exactly why it reactivates. It attacks your nerves and that is why it is so painful. The rash forms over the area where the virus has reactivated. In my case, and laugh if you want because the Mister has already relentlessly joked about it, it is on my right butt-cheek. Yes, I have a bona fide pain in my Hoe ass.

2 comments:

ghartstein said...

Why let a little something like no medical degree keep you from practicing medicine? Besides, if you had to do it right every time, they wouldn't call it, "practicing".

And aren't you glad I didn't make some lame-ass joke about how instead of a doctor it would've been cheaper to call a roofer for your shingles...?

Rae Ann said...

LOL, yeah, the Mister has already started calling me 'roof butt.' And I guess I could start an 'alternative' medical practice. Nah, someone would find a way to sue me.