Sunday, July 30, 2006

Interesting quiz...

You scored as Cultural Creative. Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.

Cultural Creative

88%

Idealist

69%

Postmodernist

50%

Existentialist

50%

Materialist

44%

Romanticist

44%

Modernist

31%

Fundamentalist

6%

What is Your World View?
created with QuizFarm.com




I was unfamiliar with the term "cultural creative" and did some looking. While I do agree with many of the things I've read about this group I have to say that the issues of global warming and environmentalism are 'iffy' to me. I do believe we can do some things to keep from hurting the planet, but I will not succumb to environmental wackoism. As with all other things there is a balance, and I really think that we humans do not hold the power to change this balance so significantly in the long term. Maybe I'm treading on 'Gaiaism' or something, but even that idea is a little too 'one-way' for me.

Speaking of global warming, I just watched a show last night on the Discovery Channel about Mount St. Helens. They were talking about the amazing growth of its glacier while all the other glaciers in the US have been shrinking significantly "because of global warming." Now, I'm not a geologist or climatologist, but that statement looks completely illogical to me. If global warming is shrinking all the other glaciers then what is so magical and special about Mt. St. Helens that protects it from this warming and destruction? It seems like the climate is not the factor here that matters. But, well, who am I to ask such questions? The part of "cultural creative" that fits best with my thinking is this tendency to question the "established wisdom" (even newly established wisdom) that contradicts the facts and Nature of our world. There is a bigger picture than what we see. More on this very soon (I hope)...

2 comments:

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

Rae Ann - I posted some stuff in answer to your question (also asked on my blog) here

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

08 03 06

Hey there Rae Ann:
I think you are asking an excellent question. And Cimpig partly answered your question. I would like to add just a bit...Some areas have their own microclimates and weather is chaotic. These two things affect how the glacier grows etc.

For example, me and the husband were in Mindin Nevada a coupla weeks ago. On that side of the Sierras, it was humid, a little hot and rainy. There were even thunderstorms!!! Yet, on the other side of the Sonora Pass, not a few miles away, it was sunny and brisque. The moutains created their own climate system and even there is still snow on the top of the pass. Similarly, in San Francisco, one street will be covered in fog, while the next is sunny.

Viewing these differences from the standpoint of Bifurcation theory makes the most sense;)

BTW: Thanks for the comments on stem cells. I think you brought up excellent points on the nature of funding for scientific research both here and abroad:)