Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Post #250

I'm not sure if that's noteworthy, but hey, there it is. The content of this post is in no way historical or significant. I would love to have posted something terribly interesting and exceedingly witty. Oh, and by the way, Stephen King, in his book On Writing says that adverbs should be nonexistent. He says that you should be able to find one word that expresses the thought of two (an adverb that modifies a verb or an adjective). So instead of writing 'terribly interesting' I should have said 'fascinating' or 'captivating' or 'riveting' or 'gripping' (ooh, grip is a sexy word). And instead of saying 'exceedingly witty' I should have said 'clever' or 'cerebral' or 'sublime'. I suppose King has a point, but I like adverbs. I don't think we should eliminate an entire class of words. That's just wrong. I know that modern writers generally (adverb) try to be economical and not be too (redundant) wordy. This is the day of limited text space so we make shortcuts any way we know how, just to be able (redundant phrase but I'm leaving it for emphasis on the 'able' part) to express our full thoughts in as little space as possible. Well, not me. I'm wordy and proud of it. Give me plenty of space to ramble on and on from one tangent to another. And allow me to use as many redundant and/or trite words as I think it takes to make my point. This is the land of big giant and little tiny and anything that ends in -ly. I love words. If one's good then two's better. And so on. Some things are worth more when they are freely (redundant adverb) given. And obviously (adverb), I love parentheticals too (every little bit of extra explanation helps).

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Brilliantly done. I am a wordy hoe too.

mikster said...

Hell...I just like to make up my own words...lol

ghartstein said...

I've never begun to try understand the need some people seem to feel they must demonstrate to use as many superfluous and unnecessarily unneeded words as humanly possible in one simple, yet less than eloquent and rather cumbersome sentence.

I'm glad I'm not one of them!

Rae Ann said...

kristi, I love your style!

mike, those are the best kind! lol

mr g, well done!

madman, totally! I was just poking a little fun at myself. lol

Kat said...

That was an extremely interesting post. I love words, and playing with words.

Rae Ann said...

kat, thanks! I love to play with words too.