Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Words of the Day

Fixation, derived from Fixate, also from Fix

Pronunciation: fik-'sA-sh&n

Function: noun

: the act, process, or result of fixing, fixating, or becoming fixated: as a: a persistent concentration of libidinal energies upon objects characteristic of psychosexual stages of development preceding the genital stage b: stereotyped behavior (as in response to frustration) c: an obsessive or unhealthy preoccupation or attachment

Main Entry: fix·ate
Pronunciation: 'fik-"sAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): fix·at·ed; fix·at·ing
transitive senses
1: to make fixed, stationary, or unchanging
2: to focus one's gaze on
3: to direct (the libido) toward an infantile form of gratification
intransitive senses
1: to focus or concentrate one's gaze or attention intently or obsessively
2: to undergo arrestment at a stage of development

I like the sense of definition 2: to focus one's gaze on. It's a little like the visual aspect of obsession, which is something that haunts or excessively preoccupies the mind. I guess you can fix your hearing on a particular sound, but that's harder for me than to focus visually on one thing, or to focus my mind on one subject. And focused I have been.

Fix

Function: noun

1: a position of difficulty or embarrassment : PREDICAMENT
2 a: the position (as of a ship) determined by bearings, observations, or radio; also: a determination of one's position b : an accurate determination or understanding especially by observation or analysis
3: an act or instance of improper or illegal fixing
4: a supply or dose of something strongly desired or craved; especially : a shot of a narcotic
5: FIXATION
6: something that fixes or restores

It's interesting that fixations can get you in a fix or make you want a fix.


Main Entry: fix
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin fixus, past participle of figere to fasten; akin to Lithuanian dygti to sprout, break through

transitive senses

1 a: to make firm, stable, or stationary b: to give a permanent or final form to: as (1): to change into a stable compound or available form (2): to kill, harden, and preserve for microscopic study (3): to make the image of (a photographic film) permanent by removing unused salts c: AFFIX, ATTACH
2 a: to hold or direct steadily b: to capture the attention of
3 a: to set or place definitely: ESTABLISH b: to make an accurate determination of: DISCOVER c: ASSIGN
4: to set in order: ADJUST
5: to get ready: PREPARE
6 a: REPAIR, MEND b: RESTORE, CURE c: SPAY, CASTRATE
7 a: to get even with b: to influence the actions, outcome, or effect of by improper or illegal methods

intransitive senses

1: to become firm, stable, or fixed
2: to get set : be on the verge [we're fixing to leave soon]
3: to direct one's attention or efforts: FOCUS; also: DECIDE, SETTLE -- usually used with on
synonym see FASTEN


I frequently use 'fix' as a verb with meaning #5 (prepare, or get ready). This is a Southern thing. When I'm 'fixing' dinner it doesn't mean I'm repairing dinner. Actually, someone else might need to repair it since I'm not a great cook.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the act, process, or result of fixing, fixating, or becoming fixated: as a: a persistent concentration of libidinal energies upon objects characteristic of psychosexual stages of development preceding the genital stage Wow, I need a dictionary to understand the dictionary! Somebody needs to fix that definition.

It's interesting that fixations can get you in a fix or make you want a fix. LOL

Transitive sense 6C: castrate. To me, that's scary, not a fix.;-)

Rae Ann said...

dh, lol, I don't think anyone wants to fix you, not in that sense!

That first definition is a psychological term. It comes from Freudian theories of development. Some people, like myself, are orally fixated, which means that we like oral things like chewing gum, etc. And I notice people's mouths first when I meet them (closely followed by the eyes) and like to watch their mouths when they talk. I should do an entire post about oral fixations. Smokers are orally fixated too.

Some people are anally fixated which implies that they like to withhold their feces. That's why we call those people 'tight asses'. This need to withhold and control, etc. is typical of those types of people we refer to as 'anal'. You might have already known all of that.

word ver. = joccyr (for real)

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I am surprised that the Southern slang was not listed...(LOL)

I fixin to go or I'm fixin to eat...(LOL)



P.S. On a serious note: I have a link on my newest post about a hurricane Katrina survivor's story...I feel you will be really touched by this esp. after your experience at the doctor's office on that Sunday.

Mike said...

We learn something new everyday! Thanks for stopping by!

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Rae Ann how in the world did I miss your last statement....when I read your whole post? Am I on drugs?? Sorry!! Or did you add it in later...or maybe I am just nuts. (smiling)

Rae Ann said...

suzie, it's okay. I didn't add it later, but it's easy to miss things sometimes.

mike and michael, is that really y'all in the profile pic? I'm old, but I'm not blind.... yet.