Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Little Car Talk

Well, not that we really want or need to take on any new car payments right now, but since we are patriotic Americans we were thinking that it might be good to stimulate the eonomy and buy new a car (my birthday is also an excuse). So I started looking online at all the different American auto-makers' sites to see what is out there. Honestly, there wasn't much to interest me. Mainly, I am not looking to replace my family car, a 2003 Expedition which I still like a lot and it's paid for, or my fun car, the Corvette. If I'm going to get a car right now it has to be something really cool and worth the trouble of a new payment.

I do like the Cadillac Escalade, but it's basically the same thing as the Expedition and I don't really want/need another SUV. I also like the Saturn Sky, but it's pretty much the same as the Corvette. The only other car that looked good was the Dodge Challenger. I like its retro late 60s - early 70s design:



So David and the boys went to look at them today while I stayed home to enjoy some peace and quiet. ;-) There must not be too much of a crisis for Dodge if they are expecting people to pay $50,000 for something. Now, I appreciate that the Challenger is their "special" model, but come on... I could buy a brand new Corvette for $50K if I wanted to spend that much. Hello? Earth calling Dodge.

The dealership was closed because it is Sunday so they couldn't talk to any salesmen, but if I had been there and they had been open they would have gotten a real good talking to about the reality. They must not be hurting too bad for sales and money if they think they are going to sell anything for that much money right now. Besides, they've already gotten a bunch of our tax money so that amount should automatically be deducted from the prices. If they really need to make a sale then they would just have to take what they could get. I mean really.

So I won't be buying a new car right now, and so there is that much less stimulation of the economy. Sorry, but if Dodge or GM or whoever is really interested in moving some inventory then they're just gonna have to do better than $50 f-in' K for some nostalgic ride.

2 comments:

Andrei Kirilyuk said...

I know it's hard, Rae Ann, but in this difficult time of crisis in America you should meet this terrible limitation with due courage: no more than one fun car per lady. :) Of course, you may still have your single (alas!) fun car and various other cars, like your family car, your husband car, etc. But the second fun car may be the sacrifice you should bravely face, despite everything! Living a simple life of a simple American “hoe”, you know, with only one fun car... And then, let it bleed, really, for those big and fat “corporation masters” of this poor, suffering world... And in addition maybe you're even saving the planet in this way, a little... If it can help you even more, in my case $50,000 is all I can hardly earn in 10 years (and now even this is not guaranteed at all!), with all my scientific degrees, 30-year experience and senior position... Fortunately, I am not interested in cars :) !

Yeah, those “global” problems push me to melancholic philosophical reflexions... What is it that really matters in this life and what's the sense of it all, other than mere stupid chance of e.g. being born here or there, from these or those parents, etc.? Their establishment still keeps feeding us with their small white lies about the necessity to “work hard” to obtain this and that, have a good life... Do you teach it to your children? Tell them better that they should be happy to be born from their normal American parents because the rest depends mainly on that... Variations that remain are closer to a kind of amusement one prefers, call it “love”, call it “science”, call it “money”, or “fun car”...

And then, when life is good and you have the necessary number of fun cars and all other cars and everything else, and all is stable with health and family, then what can be the real motivation and interest in that fully satisfied American life? Inventing you a sheer necessity of yet another gadget, the “very last” model of a “fantastic colour”? Remember Roger Waters' “Amused to Death”, my favourite:

And when they found our shadows
Grouped 'round the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry
No feelings left
This species has amused itself to death


I do like your “open” style and that “right” musical attachment. It's rare and has something to do with the happy air of seventies, which is not here any more, in this “amused-to-death” reality. Maybe something can still return, in one way or another? The doors will open again and we shall be flying above the ground...

Happy Birthday, anyway, from yet another Aquarius!

Rae Ann said...

Thanks so much Andrei! I appreciate your complex thoughts and have been thinking about these things. I'm hoping to reply when I can get some quiet time to actually think and write without too many interruptions (children).