Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Teenage Wasteland

"Baba O'Riley" by The Who



Out here in the fields
I fight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only teenage wasteland

Sally, take my hand
We'll travel south cross-land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together
Before we get much older

Teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
It's only teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
It's only teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
It's only teenage wasteland

They're all wasted!


Of course, this song was written by a Brit, but music is universal and everyone is allowed, at least still at this moment, to interpret music and art as it makes sense to them. While some might read these lyrics as some kind of communist manifesto, I prefer to read them as a declaration of Freedom from the oppression of communistic "groupthink" and loss of individuality. After all, it is usually younger and more immature people who have never actually put their backs into their work to build a life and security of their own. They generally prefer that everything is given to them without having to actually earn it and be responsible for themselves. (If you know any teenagers you know what I mean.)

Well, America is in its Teenage Wasteland. They're all wasted! The People are wasting all the hard work and sacrifice of the Founding Fathers and others who have fought so hard for our unique Independence and Freedom and the Responsibilities that go with them. It breaks my heart and hurts my soul and stomach to witness the "Change" led by someone who believes and preaches that his people are "owed" something and that the very foundations of our Nation are "flawed."

May God or the Laws of Nature intervene to save us from our own destruction.

I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven



Bonus:

4 comments:

e. l. wood said...

preach it, sister. you're right on the mark. as a teacher, i see this entitlement mentality almost daily. ioday i had to send about half of my class in each of three sections to get their secondary textbooks. several students who actually brought said textbook wanted to know if they would get a 100 daily grade or extra credit for bringing their materials to class. i told them they could bask in the pride and satisfaction of knowing that they had come prepared to class. not exactly what they were hoping for. keep your chin up. at worst, i foresee a chance for a wave of true conservatism to take hold in the coming years. there's always a remnant. . .

Rae Ann said...

Thanks! You know, I'm amazed at the way my middle school son's grades are calculated with all these "extra credit" scores just for having their materials in class and being "organized." Back in our day it was just expected and not some kind of optional, extra credit garbage. One of his teachers even gives double extra credit for these things. It's crazy! Good that your students have you to remind them of how reality works. Keep up the good work, even though it surely is very frustrating.

e. l. wood said...

one of my favorite lines in response to those who ask for extra credit (a request that usually comes from folks with more than one zero) is, "you couldn't get the regular credit; how can you get the extra credit?" anyway - i enjoy your blogs. trust me - you're not invisible.

Luboš Motl said...

In voice, it sounds good! But they should learn to put pauses after linebreaks - otherwise the poems sound chaotic. ;-)