Thursday, July 23, 2026

Social Entropy

I have lost my chill and my spark. The last couple of years have just about done me in. I'm physically healed from all the shoulder stuff but I'm so tired from life right now. I'm especially bothered by very disappointing long term business relationships. We like having long lasting relationships with other businesses, especially when they have been consistent in good service, but times are a-changing. It seems like nobody wants to work anymore and nobody knows how to communicate or do their jobs.

We have had the same insurance agency for all of our business and personal property for about 16 years. They describe themselves as providing "concierge" service which to me that means acknowledging and appreciating customers when they reach out with questions and needs. They used to be awesome about that, but then their people started to retiring. None of their younger new employees seem to have any sense of commitment to service and some have been absolutely incompetent. How hard is it to send a quick email to acknowledge a question or request and let me know that they are working on it? I'm left wondering if they got my message and if they even care enough to follow through. Do they assume I trust that they are working on things? Maybe I used to but not anymore. Did they never get trained in customer service? Do they actually know what concierge service is supposed to be? Concierge service means that I should not have to beg for answers. Concierge service means that I should feel appreciated and respected, not ignored and unappreciated. Like, come on, do I need to run a seminar on business etiquette? Just shoot me an email letting me know you got my message and understand what I'm asking and how long it might take to get it resolved.

It seems like it's mostly younger people, 40 and under, who do not perform their jobs at the best of their ability but I'm sure older people are falling behind as well. Maybe time and cultural and genetic muddying have created this social entropy where all organization and order fall apart into apathy and disorder. People want the collective to do everything but what they forget is that the collective is only as good as its worst members. The collective can't achieve what the individual is too incompetent to do. There is no personal work ethic if everyone thinks it's someone else's job. When I pay for a service I expect it to be done promptly and correctly. Now I really don't care if it's done by one, two, or twenty people as long as it's done right. When someone is assigned to do a job then they need to make sure it is done to the client's satisfaction. 

Another aspect of this social entropy is how so many people are voting for socialism because they think that it will provide them with everything they want with as little effort as possible. But that is an unsustainable fantasy. I just heard a news report about how so many towns are losing their volunteer fire departments because nobody is volunteering anymore. The young people want the services without having to pay for them and without having to do their part in providing those services. What do you mean all the young socialists who believe in taking other people's money to pay for their crap aren't willing to volunteer their time to help others in need? Dang, see, the collective is only as good as its laziest, greediest members. I'm kind of glad that I'm in the last quarter of my life and might not live long enough to see the total collapse of our society. 

My high school civics teacher used to say that socialism and communism always lead a society to the muck of mediocrity. I fear it is worse than that. What we have now is less than mediocrity. It is pure incompetence and apathy. Social entropy.    

No comments: