Friday, March 31, 2006

April Fool's a Day Early

My ten year old and I believe that our calendar is more off than most people realize. Today is one more piece of evidence that supports that idea. I am 'celebrating' April 1 today, March 31, with a series of fantastic blunders.



First, this morning David was enraged when he discovered that the younger kids and one of their friends, who spent last night here (because his mother, my good friend, was recovering from outpatient surgery), destroyed about $400 worth of 'flex duct' in the garage. This was not the first time that they had played on some of this stuff and crushed it, so we were especially angry about it. So I had 'court' with the kids this morning. This court might more resemble Saddam's trial than a typical American court, but since I'm the Judge, Jury, and Executioner around here so what I say goes. Oh, sure, that's just my story-telling bravado. I didn't really execute anyone. ;-) Anyway, the culprits were lectured on the law that says, "If it's not yours then don't touch it unless you ask first." And also the law that says, "When in Rome (my house) do as the Romans do (follow my rules)." And I threw in a little guilt-trip by telling the visiting boy, "Your mother is one of my very best friends and I would do anything for her. I don't like being put in the position of having to threaten her kid with banishment (a little too strong a word). How do you think it will make your mom feel knowing that you've embarrassed her this way?" After hearing each child's testimony (admissions of guilt) I sentenced them to no PlayStation all weekend. I'm sure I'll think of some other things too. lol

So after starting the day with a bang I've spent the rest of it cussing out and threatening with serious harm my stupid computer and printer. I'm trying to get my pictures finished for tomorrow, and my computer has taken today as sick day. It seems to be missing much of its memory, hmm, a little like its owner. Maybe the TSA came in the night and abducted some it my computer's memory to go with my brain that I'm convinced they still have. (When they 'reconstructed' my head a while ago they must have used some cheap aftermarket reproduction parts.) All day I've been getting a message "not enough memory to perform task..." (printing large files that haven't bogged it down before today). I'm just about ready to go to Circuit City and buy a brand new computer! Or run away... Or both...

1 comment:

Kat said...

What do kids think? I've told my oldest a zillion times to stay off my computer unless she has permission and have even grounded her from it at the moment, but she still keeps sneaking on it if I try to take a nap! I don't know where she gets that stubborn streak from...

:)